Call for Entries
Saturday, October 13, 2018
Newport Beach Civic Green
Call for Entries
The Newport Beach Arts Foundation
invites fine artists and artisans
to apply to participate in Art in the Park.
• Featuring more than 100 artists and attracting more than 1,800 visitors in 2017
• Located on the Green in the award-winning Newport Beach Civic Center and Park
• New features added in 2018
Application Process and Requirements
1. A complete application for submission must include these four items:
- A completed Application Form. Must include Seller’s Permit number, check number and space fee amount where indicated on the form.)
- A copy of artist’s original California Seller's permit, known as the BOE Permit. (Do not send the original.)
- A check made payable to Newport Beach Arts Foundation. The Newport Beach Arts Foundation is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
Space fees are:
- $100 NEW THIS YEAR: One vendor at a 6’ table indoors, inside the Community Room.
- $125 One artist per 10’ x 10’ space
- $185 Two artists occupying one 10’ x 10’ space
- $225 One artist occupying one double space -- 10’ x 20’
Digital images: On the same day that the application is submitted, applicant must send an email with clean, high-quality digital photos that represent recent work to: email@example.com.
NEW ARTISTS must submit three images; RETURNING ARTISTS must submit at least one image. Images should not contain any text and must be high-resolution jpegs (minimum of 300 dpi).
The cover email must include: Artist’s name, title of the piece and contact phone number.
2. Mail completed application, copy of BOE permit, and check to:
Newport Beach Arts Foundation
PO Box 11325
Newport Beach, CA 92658
Applications must be submitted on or before Saturday, August 18, and received by Tuesday, August 21.
3. Permits: All artists are required to have a valid Sales and Use Tax number issued by the California Board of Equalization (Seller’s Permit). Information can be found on the State Board of Equalization website: boe.ca.gov.
The City of Newport Beach requires art vendors to purchase a City business license if $3,800 or more of artwork or merchandise is sold anywhere in the City within a 12-month period. For more information, please contact the City of Newport Beach, Revenue Division: Email RevenueHelp@newportbeachca.gov or phone 949.644.3141.
4. Sales of artworks. Artists are responsible for their own sales.
Credit card processing: Artists who are not able to accept credit card payments may request that the Newport Beach Arts Foundation collect and process their credit card sales at the event. Arrangements must be made in advance, and a 4% processing fee will be charged on all such sales. Payment to the artists will be made by check within 30 days of the event; no payment will be made on-site.
All work submitted will be judged and artists will be notified if work is accepted. Submissions will be determined by originality. Once work is accepted, space will be assigned in the order that the applications are received. If work is not accepted, the application fee will be refunded (after September 1).
All artwork must be original and produced by the participating artist. Reproductions of an artist’s original work may be exhibited but must not represent more than 50% of the items for sale. Reproductions must be labeled as reproductions or limited editions. Digital painting must be identified as digitally constructed. Artists must be 18 years or older to participate.
Saturday, August 18 – Deadline for applications to be postmarked.
Tuesday, August 21 – Deadline for applications to be received online or in mail.
Thursday, September 11 -- 5:30 – 7:30 pm – Artists Orientation and Reception, Newport Beach Central Library.
All artists (new and returning) are encouraged to attend, to receive final instructions for the day of the event, space number and location, and a site map, as well as promotional materials to distribute. NEW THIS YEAR: Following the orientation, a reception will be held in the adjacent Bamboo Courtyard for artists, sponsors and members of the Newport Beach Arts Foundation.
Saturday, October 13 – Event Day -- 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
1. Display equipment. All artists in outdoor spaces* are responsible for providing all of their own display equipment, including pop-up tents, umbrellas, tables and chairs, stand-alone screens, easels, and/or other supports needed to display artwork. All of these items must be contained within the 10’x10’ space assignment.
*Artists who are assigned spaces under the canopy outside of the Community Room cannot use pop-ups or umbrellas, per the Fire Code.
2. Space assignments. Spaces may be on the grass or cement and are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, according to when the application was received, processed and accepted. Returning artists will be given priority in space assignments. Requests for specific spaces will be considered but cannot be guaranteed.
NEW THIS YEAR: Artists located inside the Community Room will be provided with a 6’ table, tablecloth, and two chairs. All materials must be contained on top of the table. No EZ-ups, umbrellas, floor easels, free-standing signs, or banners are permitted. Only one artist allowed per table.”
3. Schedule. Arrival and set up 7:00 - 9:30 am. Event is open to the public from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm. Take down must be completed by 6:00 pm. In order to maintain a professional appearance and attractive atmosphere at the event, all booths must remain open for the entire event, until 4:00 pm.
4. Unloading and parking. Free parking is available in the adjacent structure. Artists can park temporarily on the ground level of the structure to unload, but once unloading is completed, vehicles must be moved to the upper level of the structure.
Please note that there is a height restriction of 8’2” in this structure. Vehicles that exceed the height limit can be unloaded in the adjacent open area, then must be moved to the Central Library’s surface parking lot (next door).
5. This is a rain or shine event. No refunds.
The Newport Beach Arts Foundation will actively promote this event both in print and via digital media. We will distribute rack cards and display banners in strategic areas in the community. The event will be promoted through e-blasts to targeted lists, links with related websites and posts on social media outlets including Facebook. Participating artists will receive electronic files, for promoting to customers and friends through social media outlets. Your suggestions are important to us and the success of Art in the Park.
Janis Dinwiddie, Dinwiddie Events LLC -- Show Coordinator